Friday, March 26, 2010

Change Is Slow and Painful


Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses........................and we'll give them the finger.

This is the attitude of most people in this country now, on both sides of the line, this is not an issue of right or left, and red or blue.

It's about the red, the white , and the blue.

Freedom of religion and taxation? That worked out great didn't it? How about the separation of church and state? Yeah, right.

I 'm just using those as a broad stroke generalization that humans, like any animal, are a creature of habit. Much like a drug addict, there is a strange level of comfort in things that are familiar, and give you a false sense of security, even if it is harmful.

In a country founded on revolution, it's astounding the level of fear (for lack of a better word) of anything that will shake up the norm. One obvious subject being the Healthcare Reform. Look, I am no expert, and have any of us really read the entire package? If some of you have kudos, that's freaking amazing, you probably really care more than most, and I'm not going to get way into details about any one thing about it, this is just a very topical example.

We have lost our long term vision (if we really ever had it). Something like this reform, on the surface, you may see the good, and you may see the bad. It may not even be the best thing right now, but it could be a step towards something better, dare I say it, a change. Like some of the people that bitch about the people who represent them in their respective office(s), instead of rallying together, and voting them out, choose to sit at home in protest. What gets accomplished that way? The same people end up doing the same things over, and over again. It's okay to love your country, but not love your government. Only we can do something about it.

The problem is that people are okay with this. Addict behavior.

Count me among the guilty here my friends, and I have prime examples all around me in my life as to why we should care more than we do. I have very close friends, and a long line of relatives that have served, or relied on the government to maintain a living. I have become complacent as well.

I wanted this post to be not so much about the Healthcare issue, but all the debate that I have seen has sparked this thought process in me. The passion I have seen from people close to me, on both sides of the argument, have made me realize that it starts at home. Much like kindling, we need to spark the fires of change. Start with your local government, then on to county, state, etc.

It starts, or ends with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment