Saturday, November 7, 2009

First Blog Ever

I'm not quite sure what has compelled me to start a blog. Maybe because I enjoy reading some of my friends' blogs, and figured hey, even if no one reads I'll get some stuff off my chest. Not certain how this will go, or exactly what I'll be doing.

So here goes nothing.

I attended mt first ballet last night. It was the Miami City Ballet, at the Broward Center for the Performing Arts. It was an early birthday present for my wife, they performed among other things, to the music of the Andrews Sisters (Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy of Company B, etc.). I enjoyed that part especially, since I have always had an affinity for World War 2 era music, and just that little slice of Americana in general.

But, I couldn't help but notice, man those dudes' pants were way too tight. I mean seriously, it doesn't even look comfortable.

Okay that's not really what I'm getting at.

On a serious note, not the I attend these things regularly or anything (obviously), but it seemed like the building was half (probably more than) empty. For something that takes so much time, effort, and can be so physically taxing, I have to admire what they do. Talk about pure love of what your doing, first of all just to work your way up in the Miami City Ballet is not easy, and to get there and play to essentially no one. You know they're not making SQUAT on this gig. They get by almost exclusively on donations to keep their company going.

I guess overall my point is, I may not be a ballet fan, or love what they do, but I admire how and why they do it.

If I dedicated myself to my craft as harcore as they did, maybe I'd be a little more successful at it.

3 comments:

  1. interesting how you focused on the one line about dudes in tight pants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww man good shit! I just added you to my blogroll.

    ReplyDelete