Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Two Flicks One Post

Between all the drinks, working and football this weekend, I managed to squeeze in some sober time and catch a couple of movies.

First up:


This was my first experience watching a feature film at the IMAX theatre. In 3D no less!

I really enjoyed this version of the Charles Dickens classic. It was quite possibly the darkest rendition I've seen, to the point where I thought kids below a certain age would be totally freaked out by it. However, I guess that's kind of the point behinid this story, which is to scare you into changing your ways.

It was beautifully presented in all of it's digital 3D glory, and Jim Carrey always shines in roles such as these. Not only does he play Scrooge, but also the Ghost of Christmas Past, and Present. Accompanied by Gary Oldman as Bob Cratchit, who is one of my favorite actors of all time.

In the end I will say that it's my favorite re-telling of this story, also the darkest, and is well worth the extra dough for the IMAX 3D experience.




Next up:

I watched Up at home on Blu-Ray. It was a little more on the sad side, even for Disney. It was not all sad, there were plenty of funny moments, especially with the dogs obsession with squirrels. That last observation is more on the personal side because it reminded me of one of my old dogs, Pebbles (RIP), who had an almost unhealthy affinity for squirrels.

Pixar never dissapoints with their graphics, which seem to getting better somehow, and I wish I would have gone to the theater for this one. I really liked the mid-century America feel that this had, which kind of added to the sense of adventure in the film. Also, I may be wrong but, I think that Disney actaully killed 2 people in this movie, and no animals. That's got to be a first.

Anyhow, I was late to this party, but if you haven't watched it, give it a look, It's a fun watch.

1 comment:

  1. "Hi there. My name is Doug. My master made me this collar so I may talk. SQUIRREL! (dog looks away for several moments) Hi There."

    ReplyDelete